Jail on first DUI.
RSS Follow Become a Fan

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

DUI PENALTIES IN MI
List of DUI Arrests in Michigan
DUI Arrests & Professional Licenses
MADD ex-president arrested for DUI at THREE times the legal limit
Jail on first DUI.

Most Popular Posts

Don't Plead Guilty to DWLS Ticket in Michigan
DUI Arrests & Professional Licenses
Jail on first DUI.
Can A Drunk Driving Conviction Be Expunged?
Arrested For a MI DUI - OWI - Now What?

Categories

5 Ways to Defend a MI DUI arrest
Drunk Driving Laws
DUI EXPUNGED In MI
DUI News
DWLS
powered by

My Blog

Jail on first DUI.

Most individuals convicted of first time drunk driving offense in Michigan, especially when the crime did not involve an accident or personal injury to others regardless of their BAC level, do not get jail time. However, after the the passage of the new super drunk driving law, that may change. Now, in Michigan, first time offenders with a BAC level of .17 or higher face up to 180 days in jail, probation along with probably the most stringent alcohol treatment program for 1 year, and 45 days of no driving at all and restricted driving for 321 days along with a pre-paid installation of an interlock ignition device on the vehicle, increase in fines along with driver responsibility fees for 2 years in a row.

Drunk Driving arrests in Michigan are already rampant, however the passage of the new super drunk law will cause more harm than good. Many who are first time offenders should be given an opportunity to rehabilitate and to learn from their mistakes by placing them on probation and monitoring their performance; severely punishing them on the first time around by imposing greater fines, jail time, suspensions and restrictions of their driver's license is not the answer.

Michigan Judges, Prosecutors and City Attorneys are struggling with the passage of the new "super drunk" DUI law. The opinions of the populous would agree that first time OWI/DUI offenders ought to be given an opportunity to make good on their wrong and more often than not, jail is not the best avenue with first time offenders. Some City Attorneys are struggling on how they can accomplish handling a first OWI charge when they're powers are limited to 93 day misdemeanors. This new law can cause a conflict with city ordinances and fines/costs collected from OWI convictions to shift from the City/Township and onto the State. perhaps another taking away of income from the cities/townships.

A maximum of 180 days in jail on a first OWI offense is ridiculous. Circuit Court Judges throughout Michigan do not give 180 days on a felony DUI first (even though the MI Felony DUI law calls for up to 5 years prison). Most Circuit Court Judges understand this and often sentence Felony DUI defendants (3 prior DUI convictions) to 30 days in jail with fines, costs, community service, alcohol treatment programs either in outpatient or inpatient programs. Circuit Judges are subjected to follow the mandatory Michigan Sentencing Guidelines for felonies. Quite often, the minimum sentence for Felony DUI offenders is between 0-9 months in the county jail (depending on the prior record and offense variables of the defendant). The statute requires a mandatory minimum 30 days in jail. Most Circuit Court Judges will sentence Felony DUI/OWI offenders to that minimum (usually between 30-90 days in jail) in Oakland, Wayne and Macomb County.

In our estimation of the  majority of all District Court Judges throughout the Metro-Detroit MI areas, have sentenced first time drunk driving offenders (without an accident or injuries) and regardless of their BAC level, to NO JAIL but to probation, fines/costs, community service, alcohol testing  regardless of their BAC level. They realize that rehabilitation is key to first time DUI offenders.

It would seem that the legislators are imposing sentencing guidelines on misdemeanor offenses by indirectly imposing offense variables into the drunk driving statute. By way of example, if a Defendant who has multiple felony and misdemeanor convictions and is convicted for an OWI/DUI first offense with a BAC level of .16, the maximum sentence for this Defendant is 93 days in jail. Now with the super drunk law, a Defendant with a clean criminal and if convicted of an OWI/DUI with a BAC level of .17, he can be subjected up to 180 days in jail. That seems unfair in which the crime (OWI-1) does not fit the punishment.

Drunk driving used to be very relaxed but it ought to be something that the public scorns when there is injury or an accident resulting in an injury. However, the MI super drunk law won't change anything to keep drivers from driving drunk. Let's face it happens and will continue so long as there are beer commercials, clubs, social gatherings that we, Americans, have made apart of our culture. While drunk driving accounts for accidents and at times fatalities; but there has been very little studies conducted to assess other causes of the accidents. One may wonder how many accidents and fatalities are cause by poor driving habits (people who just can't drive well), drivers whose attention was diverted by something else (tuning the radio or temperature control) or text/phone users. Perhaps we should make it a crime for causing a auto-accident, period. This is where we're headed. At best, this super drunk law will get a few people to cut back on the amount they drink before getting behind the wheel. The important thing to remember is that all laws are reactionary. Do you really think that someone with a BAC on 0.17 is weighing the consequences of driving?

This law will have the affect of increasing the burden on courts while bringing in very little extra revenue. People charged with being "super drunk" will certainly be more apt to demand a trial as opposed to plea bargaining as most DUIs are now handled. Once convicted, how quickly will the state gets its money if the Driver Responsibility Fee and fines and costs are increased. Most people who owe a Driver Responsibility Fee can't afford to pay, especially in this staggering MI economy and high unemployment rate that's driving people to alcohol and depression. Unfortunately, these people still drive. And if they can afford to place a mandatory interlock control device on their vehicle in order to drive, they will get around it by simply driving another household vehicle.

Anyway you look at this, this new law will not deter drunk driving. While the legislator's who wrote this new super drunk law by making it more costly and imposing harsher penalties for those convicted of a first OWI in Michigan, drunk driving accidents won't go away and the Court's dockets will be clogged even more with jury trials by DUI Defense Attorneys.

It seems that our state legislators did not think about the ramifications this new law has on Judges, Prosecutors, City Attorneys and even DUI Defense Attorneys with respect to our system of jurisprudence.

Please understand that no one wants a drunk driver on the road, however this new Michigan super drunk law is not the answer and will create more harm than good.

16 Comments to Jail on first DUI. :

Comments RSS
best dui Miami attorney on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:33 PM
What you are saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I am sure you will reach so many people with what you have got to say.

Alexandre on Sunday, November 25, 2012 6:26 AM
This is a good to know about "Drunk Driving Laws" as well! Just a quick note to tell you that I have a passion for the topic at hand as well. Here all information on this Law are really impressive. Thanks................

Rey Mento on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:18 AM
Drunken driving laws are very important to give attention. From highways to local streets so many accidents are causing around the world. So I think dunking driving should be banned permanently to stop certain death. Thanks.

Anonymous on Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:19 AM

Kennedy on Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:33 AM

Kennedy on Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:35 AM

Ryan on Friday, August 16, 2013 1:46 AM
Helpful article to know about DUI! I have learned lots of things about DUI offense which I didn't know much more in before and especially this knowledge will help me a lot when I will go to drive a car because already I have gathered knowledge that how much serious offense it is. Thanks

Quinn on Thursday, September 4, 2014 5:08 AM
Hi! I could have sworn I've been to this web journal before yet in the wake of perusing through a percentage of the post I understood its new to me. Anyways, I'm most likely joyful I discovered it and I'll be book-checking and inquiring much of the time!

Shawn K. Poulette on Wednesday, September 24, 2014 2:42 AM
People often become so misfortunate and got troubled but some people really do not deserve to go jail also. A supportive bail bonds agent can help them a lot in this cases.

emergency first aid at work on Monday, November 30, 2015 10:02 AM
Pleasant blog site, I like your website as well as your own writing knowledge about this theme. Today the vast majority of folks are susceptible to a lot of human body discomfort consequently your website definitely help for anyone. Thanks.

Himin on Saturday, February 6, 2016 10:30 AM
What you are stating is totally genuine. I realize that everyone must say the same thing, however I simply imagine that you place it in a way that everybody can get it. I am certain you will contact such a large number of individuals with what you must say. Thanks!

Gerry Ben on Monday, February 29, 2016 3:28 AM
Yes this is Accommodating article to think about DUI! I have adapted heaps of things about DUI offense which I didn't know a great deal more in before and particularly this learning will help me a considerable measure when I will go to drive an auto since as of now I have assembled information that how much genuine offense it is. Thank you so much.

Ben Gerry on Monday, February 29, 2016 3:29 AM

Skylar on Thursday, April 14, 2016 6:00 PM
Such a large number of individuals leave a coment in your website, For this we can realize that your web journal is exceptionally Wonderful,Cheers for your execution, I trust you keep on posting such great articles. It's truly a decent and accommodating bit of data. I'm happy that you imparted this accommodating information to us. It would be ideal if you keep us educated like this. Thanks!

Raju on Sunday, April 24, 2016 6:25 PM
I have adapted loads of things about DUI offense which I didn't know substantially more in before and particularly this learning will help me a ton when I will go to drive an auto since as of now I have accumulated information that how much genuine offense it is! Thanl you so much.

Malekabibi on Saturday, May 28, 2016 9:07 AM
Quality articles or surveys is the principle to be a center for the guests to pay a brisk visit the site, that is the thing that this site is giving.