DUI Attorney - MI DUI Facts - Farmington Hills, MI
ATTORNEYS OF MICHIGAN, PLLC - Traffic & DUI Defense Lawyers
Arrested for a DUI/OWI? Contact US Now at (888) 484-9349

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
Q:  What is the difference between a DUI and OWI?
A: In Michigan, a person is often arrested for "Operating While Intoxicated”  (OWI). However, many Michiganders as well as many other states around the country refer to drunk driving as a “DUI” (Driving Under the Influence). In Michigan, it used to be called a DUI until many years ago when the Michigan law changed to OWI. For simplicity and ease of understanding the drunk driving laws, we refer to operating while intoxicated as a "DUI" throughout our website even though drunk driving should be called an “OWI” (“Operating While Intoxicated").
Q:  Michigan Police arrested me for an OWI, what is the first thing that I should do?
A:  The first thing to do is to consult with an experienced Michigan DUI Attorney, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the complexities of the court procedures, rules and DUI laws. From there, it’s critical to start building an aggressive defense to your Michigan DUI arrest by gathering evidence. A DUI is no longer a simple charge, and quite the contrary, it is a very serious charge that could land you in jail, loss of your drivers license or your job. 
Q:  Do I need a drunk driving lawyer to fight my Michigan OWI arrest case?
A:  While you don’t need a lawyer as it is your right to represent yourself, a good DUI Lawyer with excellent DUI knowledge would certainly give you the strategic legal edge you need. A good DUI Defense Attorney who knows the ins and outs of the courtrooms in Oakland, Wayne and Macomb County may be able to obtain a lower charge and a lesser sentence, if your situation allows for it.  Additionally, if you are charged with a second or third drunk driving offense, or one whose livelihood depends on keeping your driver's license, you should absolutely retain the best Michigan DUI lawyer / DUI Attorney that you can afford. Fortunately, a drunk driving charge does not necessarily mean a conviction and good legal representation may help you get a OWI / DUI charge dismissed or reduced.
Q:  Am I automatically guilty just because the police said that I was drunk?
A:  Absolutely Not!  Contrary to what most people think, before you can be convicted of an OWI, the prosecution must prove your guilt “beyond a reasonable doubt.”  It is not your initial responsibility to prove your innocence but it is your responsibility to gather the evidence of your sobriety. 
Q:  The police report says things in there that are untrue.  What can I do about it?
A:  A good strategy may be to file a Motion in Limine to exclude the officer’s testimony that he or she “believed” you were intoxicated or impaired.  In other words, the prosecution must prove each and every element of the crime of operating while intoxicated (OWI), an officer who is attempting to testify as to his opinion, is helping the government convict you without the requirement of proving each and every element of the crime of Operating While Intoxicated (OWI).
Q:  The Michigan police officer who arrested me for an OWI had no reason to pull me over in the first place.  Is there anything that I can do about it?
A:  Yes, there is something that can be done.  Since a law enforcement officer can’t just pull you over for no reason. Why? Because that violates your constitutional right to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures under the 4th Amendment of the Michigan and U.S. Constitution. Your DUI Defense Attorney can bring a Motion to Suppress the evidence based on an illegal traffic stop.  Upon cross-examination of the police officer, the objective is to cast doubt on his testimony for the reasons why he pulled you over. In our experience, we have found that their police reports are inconsistent with their in-court testimony.
Q:  What is Heidi’s Law?
A:  Michigan passed Heidi’s Law which this law added many new, harsher penalties to the drunk driving laws across Michigan. You can be charged with a felony if you had 2 prior DUI ‘s. There is a mandatory jail time and you could also be sentenced to prison, especially if you had more than 3 alcohol or other convictions on your criminal record.
Q:  On what basis can I challenge the so-called “evidence” presented in court?
A:  With the assistance of a good DUI Defense lawyer, you can raise such defenses as the officer had no legal right to pull you over, the random stop was not run proper, there were flawed field sobriety and/or breath tests, and the police officer’s subjective opinions lack merit to establish an arrest.
Q:  Must I perform the field sobriety tests requested of the police officer?
A:  No.  Unlike blood and breath testing, submitting to a Michigan OWI/DUI field sobriety test is voluntary, but do not expect a police officer to inform you of this.
Q:  What are the best ways to defend against “failed” field sobriety tests?
A:  These tests are imperfect by all means. There are many factors unrelated to alcohol or drug use that could cause you to perform poorly on these tests.  The best thing that you could do is retain a good DUI Defense Attorney to argue that even if you “failed” a test, it was because of issues unrelated to alcohol or drug use.
Q:  Can I beat the breathalyzer?
A:  As DUI Defense Attorney, I am often asked this question.  Short answer is yes, the “data master” machine can be overcome.  Breath tests can be  conducted in error or illegally obtained.  The following questions and defenses should be raised in order to challenge the test and keep the results from being admitted into evidence:  Did the officer observe you for a period of 15 minutes prior to your taking the test?  Did the officer have his or her radio on during the test?  Was there a specific reason for which you were pulled over and stopped by the officer?  Have you seen the maintenance records (logs) from the breathalyzer – when was it last calibrated? 
Q:  What is “blood-alcohol concentration” or “blood-alcohol level”?
A:  Blood-alcohol concentration (BAC) is the level of alcohol in the bloodstream from drinking alcoholic beverages. BAC readings are used in court as evidence in drunk-driving cases.  The most common method of measure is a breath test, although blood and/or urine testing is sometimes done.  A result of .08 or higher may establish a presumption of intoxication (drivers under 21 have a limit of .02 in Michigan).  The details of the .08 BAC presumption laws vary among the states, but all 50 states have adopted .08 as their official intoxication level, in large part because of a federal threat of otherwise withholding highway funds.
Q:  What happens if I refuse a Breath Test when I’m pulled over?
A:  Refusing a breathalizer at the scene of the stop is a civil infraction (there are no criminal consequences to refuse it). But if you refuse the “data master” breath test at the police station or a blood test, you can face harsh penalties.  For example, you will have your driver’s license suspended. If this happened to you, seek the advise of a good dui lawyer in Michigan right away! You have a right to appeal the suspension to the Michigan Secretary of State. You only have a me 14 days to appeal to the Driver’s License Appeal Board (DLAD) at the Michigan Secretary of State in Lansing.
Q:  The datamaster electronic print-out says I was over the limit (.08).  Shouldn’t I just plead guilty if my test results say that I failed?
A:  No. Many drivers are daunted by the evidence against them, such as field sobriety test results or breathalyzer results, and police reports.  It is common to feel that a conviction is inevitable, but there are many good reasons to fight the charge of a Michigan OWI. A key point to always remember is that drivers who contest the charges with an aggressive and experienced DUI attorney at their side have a good chance of either having the charges dismissed completely, or greatly reduced.
Q:  What is “mouth alcohol” and how can it create a false reading on the breathalyzer?
A:  People with dentures and orthodontic work in their mouth often end up with inaccurate breath test results.  Certain gases that move from the stomach up to the mouth, loose food particles, breath sprays and breath strips can send confusing test scores.  For example, according to Listerine manufacturer Pfizer Inc.’s website, Listerine strips contain about 30% alcohol.
Q:  Is there any way that I could be arrested if my breath test was less than .08 ?
A:  Yes.  You can be prosecuted for what's called operating while visibly impaired (OWVI) if the Prosecutor proves that you were  less than a safe driver due to impairment by alcohol or drugs.
Q:  Will I go to jail if convicted on a first OWI offense?
A:  There is always that possibility and there are many factors to consider. For example, prior criminal convictions and high breath or blood test results can increase your chances to getting jail  time for a first OWI conviction. Each Michigan Judge has her/his standards.
However,  many DUI cases result in negotiated plea agreements.  For those cases that are not tried or dismissed, an experienced DUI Defense Attorney can often negotiate with the Prosecutor and/or Judge for alternative punishment.
Q:  If I am arrested for a DUI in MI, what happens to my driver’s license?
A:  Upon arrest, your license will be confiscated and you will be issued a “paper license” also known as “625 G” license to drive while your matter is pending

Q:  Can you get cited for OWI in a Boat?
A:  Yes. Just like cars, trucks or RV’s, operating a boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs has serious consequences.
Q:  What makes your law firm different from other DUI Lawyers or OWI Attorneys?
A:  Our clients will most likely tell you that both our professionalism, knowledge and experience set us apart from the rest. We answer our phones and meet meet our clients throughout the day and over the weekend, and we conduct a thorough independent investigation of each case that we represent. This is critical because many attorneys who claim they know DUI laws, miss this step and can cost you in the end.  We look for evidence to show the police failed to follow the law and procedures during your arrest.  When necessary, we visit the scene of the incident and sometimes take pictures to show evidence of unfair road conditions to show a condition making you unable to perform field sobriety tests or that you were not weaving to cast doubt on the officer's observations. 

Further, by working day in and day out in the courthouses, we establish working relationships with Judges, Prosecutors, probation officers and court staff. This way, we know how things work in particular courtrooms, and with particular City Attorneys and State Prosecutors.
Q:  My case is outside of the Metro-Detroit Area, do you go all over the state?
A:  Yes. 
Q:  How much will you charge to represent me (DUI lawyer fees)?
A:  The first step is our Case Evaluation. Our DUI Defense Attorneys do not charge for this half hour, so it makes good sense to meet with us as quickly as possible so that we can discuss the facts of your case.
Once we have a clear understanding of your case and personal circumstances, we will tell you in advance, and put in writing, exactly what we will charge to take your case.  Our attorney fees are fair and reasonable based on our experience in handling DUI cases throughout the Metro-Detroit area; but also we look at a number of other factors, including, the facts and circumstances of your case, your past criminal record, prior DUI conviction and so forth. Our fees are almost always on a fixed-fee basis because charging an hourly rate does not work well and fixed fee arrangements is the standard fee arrangement in the criminal/DUI practice among DUI lawyers in Michigan.
We take our cases seriously and must restrict the number of cases we take so that each case gets the time and attention that it deserves. You always know our fees up-front. Plus, if you don’t want to go all the way to trial, you don’t have to pay for trial.
Q: I was arrested for DUI and did not get a ticket nor have I been charged. What do I do in the meantime?
A: Police investigate a crime and prepare a written report. The report is then forwarded to the proper authority such as a State Prosecutor or City Attorney. The Prosecutor or City Attorney decide whether to file criminal charges and what criminal charges will be filed. Most often if you did not receive a ticket after being released from jail, then the investigation process could be ongoing and may take several months. Also, if it was a second or subsequent DUI or when blood results have not been tested can lead to more delays. You should not wait to be charged before retaining an attorney. 

Contact our Law Office for a free consultation and case evaluation at (248) 782-8322.


Copyright 2015. The materials contained on this website have been prepared for informational purposes only. The information is general in nature, and it may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances. In any event, the materials do not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon any information in this web site without seeking professional counsel. © Permission is granted to republish and redistribute the information contained on this website provided that no modification is made to the material and that all copyright and other proprietary notices are preserved. Permission is granted to include links to the Uniform Resource Locators (URL) of documents comprising the site in other HTML documents, provided that all trademarks are duly noted in such links. Permission granted herein does not include the right to repost the contents at any other commercial web sites unless a hypertext link to www.michigantrafficviolations.com is reflected on the web site and copyright notices are preserved in connection with that reposting. Any dissemination or replication of the logo contained in this website may not be reposed without our written consent.