DRIVER RESPONSIBILITY FEES IN MICHIGAN
Facts You Should Know:
- Driver Responsibility Fees are paid only at the Department of Treasury (MDOT), not at the Secretary of State (SOS) branches or the Court.
- If you don’t pay your driver responsibility fees, your driver's license can be suspended and may subject you to additional collection efforts, such as levying your wages or bank accounts.
- In addition to the driver responsibility fees, you may also be required to pay a "reinstatement fee" of $125.00 to the Secretary of State.
- We can assist you to make payment arrangements with the MDOT. Once you go through the entire process and if approved, you can get up to 24 months to make monthly installments. The $125 SOS reinstatement fee may also be included in the payment plan if approved.
- MDOT does not accept credit or debit cards.
How It Works
The program is designed to put drivers into 2 Categories:
- In Category 1, you can expect to pay money if you accumulate 7 or more points on your driving record within a 2 year period from your last conviction; or
- In Category 2, you are convicted of certain offenses.
Category 1 - "Total Points"
Category 1, includes violations such as speeding, prohibited turn, disobey traffic control device, failure to yield, and other traffic violations, which carry points. The fee is based on the total number of points on your driving record, starting at minimum of Seven (7) points.
The fees begin at $100 and increase by $50 for each Point above 7 points. See chart below:
In this category, you will be assessed only once per year and you will not be assessed in any year in which the number of points on your driving record drops below 7 points. Remember that points do not fall off 2 years from the date you received your ticket, rather it is the date of your "conviction". A "conviction" is on the date when the Court enters a judgment.
Category 2- "Certain Traffic Misdemeanor Violations"
Category 2 is assessed for certain offenses, such as no insurance, reckless driving, driving while license suspended/revoked/restricted, drunk driving (owi, owvi, ubal, and also known as dui/dwi/ouil). These offenses carry their own driver responsibility fee independent from the number of points on the driving record. Drivers convicted of such offenses will be assessed a driver responsibility fee of $150, $200, $500 or $1,000 for two (2) years in a row. Again, 2-years-in-a-row
- Drunk Driving (OWI) = $1,000
- OWVI (Impaired) = $500
- Reckless Driving = $500
- No Proof of Insurance = $200
- Drove While License Suspended = $200
Points from Category 2 offenses and convictions are not counted toward the point total for Category 1.
Multiple driver responsibility fees are assessed if a driver is convicted of multiple qualifying offenses under Category 2.
Driver Responsibility Fees are assessed for 2 years in a row for Category 2 convictions. The second year's fees will be assessed on the date of the first year's fees.
Just remember that if you don't pay your driver responsibility fees on time, your driver's license can be suspended. The Michigan Department of State has payment plans available if you qualify. Once you make full payment of your driver responsibility fees or you are approved for a payment plan, then you must go to the Secretary of State to reinstate your license. In most cases, you will be required to pay a reinstatement fee of about $125.00.
Also remember Driver Responsibility Fees are paid at the Michigan Department of Treasury and Reinstatement Fees are paid at the Secretary of State branches.
If your license is suspended due to unpaid driver responsibility fees, start by calling the Michigan Department of Treasury, then proceed to the Secretary of State to pay them a reinstatement fee, if applicable in your situation (usually is the case).
If you are unsure why your license is suspended, start by getting a copy of your current driving record. The fasted method is by going directly to your local SOS branch office.
We hope that this information was helpful.
MAIN LAW OFFICE
Attorneys of Michigan, PLLC
30300 Northwestern Hwy.
Farmington Hills, MI 48334
Serving Drivers for many years throughout Oakland, Macomb, Wayne and other Counties in Michigan, including:Troy - Royal Oak - Warren - Sterling Heights - West Bloomfield - Novi - Rochester Hills - Farmington Hills - Southfield - Oak Park - Birmingham - Clinton Twp. - Livonia - Allen Park - Redford - Wayne - Dearborn - Berkley - Shelby - Romeo - Lapeer - Clawson - Madison Heights - Hazel Park - Bingham Farms -Harper Woods - Grosse Pointe - St. Clair Shores - Livonia - Plymouth - Northville - Milford - Canton - Pleasant Ridge - Clarkston - Waterford - Grosse Pointe Farms - Center Line - Eastpointe - Roseville - Fraser - Grosse Pointe Woods - Harrison Township - Mount Clemens - Armada - Armada Township - Bruce Township -Memphis - White Lake Twp - Commerce - Oakland - Richmond - Romeo - Washington Township - New Baltimore - Macomb Township - Shelby Township - Macomb Twp - Westland - Inkster - Utica - Chesterfield Township - Lenox Township - New Haven - Taylor Southgate Hamtramck - Romulus-Woodhaven - Wyandotte - Ecorse - Lincoln Park - Highland Park- Detroit and other Michigan areas not listed here.